The news has arrived as expected: IWI-US is now importing the Jericho 941 to the US. You can read their press release and my analysis after the break:
IWI US, Inc., a subsidiary of Israel Weapon Industries (IWI) Ltd., proudly announce the return of the Jericho® brand of pistols to the U.S. market. The Jericho® 941™, designed specifically for the U.S. market will be available in both steel frame and polymer frame models.
“Ever since the Jericho was launched in 1990 by – IMI, it has been a very popular pistol for civilians and law enforcement, worldwide,” Michael Kassnar, Vice President of Sales and Marketing for IWI US explained. “Since it was originally designed based upon the highly regarded CZ-75 model, the Jericho has been imported into the U.S. under several names including Jericho 941 from KBI when first introduced, UZI Eagle from Mossberg and Magnum Research’s Baby Eagle. We are very pleased that the Jericho 941 has come full circle and arrived home here at IWI US.”
The Jericho 941 steel frame, semi-auto, short-recoil model will be available in full-size and semi-compact in 9mm, .40 S&W and .45 ACP caliber. The pistol features adjustable sights, an integral MIL-STD 1913 rail, an ergonomic grooved pistol grip and ships with 2 magazines in a lockable carry case.
The Jericho 941 polymer frame with steel slide, semi-auto, short recoil model is also available in 9mm, .40 S&W and .45 ACP calibers in a full-size and semi-compact frame. All features are the same in the polymer version with the benefit of reduced weight.
Unlike the Baby Eagle, UZI Eagle and earlier versions of the Jericho 941 imported by KBI that had a slide mounted de-cocker system, this new Jericho 941 utilizes the more desirable frame mounted safety, a la CZ75.
Jericho 941 pistols are used by civilians and elite forces around the world including the Israeli police. IWI US will also carry CO, CT, DC, HI, IL, MD, NJ and NY compliant pistols with 10-round magazines (no models available for CA and MA). The Jericho 941 pistol will be available in early 2015.
This is an interesting announcement for a few reasons:
- Only importing frame safety models is rather daring. As I noted previously, the US market prefers frame safeties and hasn’t seen many Jerichos with them, but the IDF version has a slide safety/decocker.
- No sub-compact variants are being imported. The Jericho was never much of a concealed carry gun, but such small guns have become more popular as CC laws have loosened.
- The pricing is a bit lower than I expected. MSRP is $655 (steel) and $559 (polymer). Assuming street is about 82.5% of that, the street prices will be $540 and $460 respectively – very competitive with the rest of the market.
- All of the models come with adjustable sights. No night sights or threaded barrels mentioned.
- No polymer .45ACP gun announced.
One thought on “IWI-US announces Jericho 941 imports”