A reader recently asked me to give the low-down on magazine compatibility vis a vis the Jericho. I’ll go a step further for you, and finally put a bunch of Internet misconceptions to bed based on personal experience.
The Israelis mostly made two types of guns:
Tanfoglio full-size, small frame: BUL Cherokee (gen 1 and gen 2), BUL Storm, all full-size and semi-compact Jerichos
Tanfoglio compact-size, small frame: BUL Storm Compact, Jericho Compact
Read on for my findings, plus some information about BUL M5 magazine compatibility.
To address the Tanfoglios:
- Mec-Gar 16rd CZ-75B magazines: these work in ALL the guns listed and are flush-fit. They stick out pretty far in the compact-size guns. (Greg Cote’s website implies these don’t work in the second-gen BUL Cherokee… that is not my experience.)
- Mec-Gar 17rd small frame Tanfoglio magazines: these work in ALL the guns listed, and appeared to be flush-fit. They stick out pretty far in the compact-size guns.
- Mec-Gar 13rd CZ-75B “compact” magazines: these work in the compact-size guns. They stick out a bit – not much, but enough to be annoying.
- Mec-Gar 12rd Tanfoglio “compact” magazines: these work in the compact-size guns, and are flush-fit.
- E-Lander 16rd magazine with plastic floor plate: these do not lock in on metal-framed Jerichos! I have not tested them with the polymer-framed BUL Cherokee yet.
OK, now let’s discuss the BUL Impact/M-5 magazines. I only have access to a Gen-1 full-size frame, a BUL Impact, and a Gen-2 Ultra-X frame. (One of these days, I will shell out for a Gen-2 full-size!)
- Para Ordnance P-14/P-18 magazines: the mag catches are too low to work in the BUL Impact/M-5. You will need to file the top of the mag-catch until it locks in.
- Para Ordnance Warthog magazines: these do not work in the BUL Impact/M-5 – too short!
- BUL Impact magazines: these will work in the Ultra-X, but I felt that feeding was not reliable without replacing the follower.
- BUL M-5 magazines: these will work in the Impact, but there’s no LRBHO activation without replacing the follower.
2 thoughts on “Magazine Compatibility”
RIA double stack magazines fit the Bul Impact 9mm, no filing required.
As for the Bul Cherokee 9mm compact, the 10 rd Meggar mags will go into the gun and lock but they will NOT feed a round and the mag will not hold the action open. Not safe! Empty and you don’t know it. Moreover, they don’t eject well. All in all, they don’t work. Bul Amory appears to have ten rounders for those of us in the states that limit mag capacity.